14 Jan January Storms Sweep Across South
January 12, 2020
Source: The Weather Channel
Arkansas Governor Emergency Proclamation (1/11/20)
Approximate locations sustaining structural damage
– Joppa (Cullman, Marshall counties, 35087)
– Carrollton (Pickens County, 35447)
*Concentrated damage in Settlement Community
– Midway (Baxter County, 72651)
– Prairie View (Logan County, 72863)
– Scranton (Logan County, 72863)
– Benton (Bossier Parish, 71006)
– Dubberly (Webster Parish, 71024)
– Haughton (Bossier Parish, 71037)
*Homes reportedly destroyed on Davis Road and James Lane
– Oil City (Caddo Parish, 71061)
– Batesville (Panola County, 38606)
– Cleveland (Bolivar County, 38732, 387833)
– Lewisburg (DeSoto County, 38654 check 38611)
– Olive Branch (DeSoto County, 38654)
– Fair Play (Polk County, 65649)
– Keys (Cherokee County, 74451)
– Center (Shelby County, 75935)
*Concentrated damage reported in Lakewood Subdivision)
– Nacogdoches (Nacogdoches County, 75961, 75962, 75963, 75964, 75965)
NOTE: This has not yet been declared a FEMA Major Disaster.
A two day outbreak of severe storms with damaging winds, a few tornadoes and flooding rain knocked trees onto homes, ripped away roofs and flattened buildings as it marched from Texas and Oklahoma to the East Coast, killing at least eight people along the way.
Winds knocked down power lines and toppled trees. Hundreds of thousands lost power during the peak of the storms and tens of thousands were still without power on Sunday morning long after the storms had passed through, according to poweroutage.us.
The governors of Mississippi and Arkansas both declared states of emergency to mobilize resources for clean up. Several roads and highways remained closed due to high water and debris in Oklahoma, Arkansas
At one point on Saturday, even Interstate 20 in Louisiana was closed in both directions because of storm damage near the city of Minden in Webster Parish, according to the State Police.
For full report, please click the source link above.